Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Stoverij

So I finally made Stoverij and it is actually very easy and so delicious.  I used a combination of two recipes, one posted in Flanders Today and my neighbor/landlord's recipe.  It sounds like simply beef stew but the beer and the bread take this stew to a whole new level.  Stoverij gets better the longer it sits so it's best to make the day before (great for entertaining).  Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures...we were too excited and eager to eat!  Here is the recipe that I used:

Sorry for the metric measurements:

1.5 kg beef cubed
1 T. butter
2T. Brown sugar
2 onions
5 or so sprigs of fresh time
3 bay leaf
salt
peper
2 westmalle brown beer 33 cl
2 large slices of bread spread with dijon (I used a dense artisan bread but any bread will probably do)

Brown butter and sugar in a Dutch oven.  Add beef and onions and let caramelize.  Add spices, bread, and cover with beer.  Cook at 300 for about 4 hours or until it cuts with a wooden spoon.  Serve with fries and mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment